Call us free on 03339 874011 |

Blog: When medical treatment goes wrong

July 12, 2018

The standard of medical treatment in the UK is largely very good but there are unfortunate
occasions where you may not be satisfied with your treatment and there are options available to

In the first instance, you should go through the complaints procedure of your
hospital/surgery/dentist/care provider. There may also be scope to seek compensation and
therefore the second step is to make a claim for negligence against the treatment provider.

Patient Claims can support you in making a complaint and also act for you in
order to seek compensation.

What can compensation include?

Compensation is tailored to each individual case and awarded according to the extent of the loss.
The aim of compensation is to put the person back in the financial position they would have been in,
had the negligence not occurred.

A successful claim would include an award for pain, suffering and loss of amenity and also takes into
account loss of earnings and other expenses.

Factors such as age, your job, life expectancy, the potential need for future care, therapy, treatment,
travel expenses, prescriptions, aids and equipment and other foreseeable expenses can be included
in the calculation. The compensation can also include the loss of earnings of a partner or family
member who have provided care for you or escorted you to appointments and treatments.

Where the future is uncertain and symptoms may be ongoing as a result of the negligence, our
solicitors are guided by medical opinion to give a prognosis, which will be considered in any
settlement reached. Any further operations or treatments with additional recovery time off work
and care, will be considered.

Find out if you have a claim

For further information and to see if your claim could be dealt with on a 'no win, no fee' basis, please call our friendly and experienced Clinical Negligence team on 03339 874011 or complete the contact form and someone will respond as soon as possible.

Find out if you have a claim